Runes reforged, how does it work?
Change is coming in the League of Legends 2018 Season update and now that we have hit the pre-season phase, it’s definitely a good time to test out everything that’s new and will impact our gameplay before resuming our competitive Ranked activities. However, given that a lot of change will be coming once the new season hits (or once the new patch hits that is), many are still somewhat confused as to how one of the biggest changes in League would work, and that in particular is with the new Rune system.
See, Riot somehow decided that to ease the player experience and to lessen the worries of coming up with the best cheese builds to improve your stats, the whole Rune and Mastery system gets combined into one in what is described as the Runes reforgedupdate. In contrast to the previous Rune and Mastery system, the new Runes reforged system, which will be implemented in the first preseason patch, 7.22, will aim to streamline runes and masteries by following a less is better concept and providing 5 different paths which help dictate your playstyle.
But how does it actually work?
5 Paths, 5 Playstyles
The new Rune system will have 5 different Paths, Resolve, Domination, Precision, Sorcery, and Inspiration, with each path divided into 4 subcategories, and each subcategory containing 3 runes. Aside from the Rune bonuses, each path will also grant additional passive bonuses, and players can use 6 runes at any given game; 1 Keystone, or the “main rune”, 3 runes from your desired Path, and 2 runes from your secondary path.
Paths, Keystones, and Runes
Keywords: Durability, Crowd Control
Path Bonuses: +130 Health
Grasp of the Undying
- Deal bonus magic damage with your basic attack for every 4 seconds in combat and heal yourself for a percentage of your health and gain permanent health.
- Increase your Armor and Magic Resist after immobilizing enemy champions (Stun, Root), then explode to deal magic damage to nearby enemies.
- Guard yourself nearby allies to gain shield and activate haste for a few seconds.
- Gain bonus Tenacity and Slow Resistance after casting a Summoner Spell
- Charge up a powerful attack when nearby an enemy turret, when used, the Charged Attack will deal bonus physical damage based on your max health.
Font of Life
- Impairing the movement of an enemy champion marks them for 4 seconds, attacking mark enemies grant self-heal.
- Gain bonus armor
- Gain bonus Magic Resist
- Gain bonus Armor and Magic Resist after 10 minutes.
- Permanently gain additional health for every 8 minion or monster that die near you.
- Increase the strength of your heals and shields when you drop below 40% health.
- Heal a percentage of your missing health when taking damage from enemy champions.
Keywords: Burst Damage, Damage
Path Bonuses: +11 Attack Damage or +18 Ability Power
- Hitting a champion with 3 separate attacks or abilities within 3 seconds deals bonus adaptive damage
- Enchants your boots with the active effect “Predator” to gain bonus movement speed for a few seconds
- Champions, large minions, and large monsters drop soul essence on death. Collect souls to become Soul Charged. Your next attack on a champion or structure consumes Soul Charged to deal bonus adaptive damage.
- Damaging champions with impaired movement or actions deals bonus true damage
Taste of Blood
- Heal yourself when damaging and enemy champion
- After exiting stealth or using a dash, leap, blink, or teleport, dealing any damage to a champion grants you bonus Lethality and Magic Penetration for 5 seconds
- After killing a ward, a friendly Zombie Ward is raised in its place. Additionally, when your wards expire, they reanimate as Zombie Wards.
- Enter a brush to summon a poro after a brief channel. The poro will stay behind to give you vision until you summon a new one.
- Collect eyeballs for champion and ward takedowns to gain bonus Attack Damage or Ability Power
- Heal for a percentage of the damage dealt by your abilities
- Earn Bounty Hunter stacks the first time you kill each enemy champion for each Bounty Hunter stack earn bonus Cooldown Reduction,
- Earn Bounty Hunter stacks the first time you kill each enemy champion for each Bounty Hunter stack earn bonus out of combat movement speed.
Keywords: Basic Attacks, Sustain Damage
Path Bonuses: +18% Attack Speed
Press the Attack
- Hitting an enemy champion with 3 consecutive basic attacks deals bonus adaptive damage and increases all the damage they take for a few seconds.
- Gain additional Attack Speed when dealing damage to enemy champions
- Attacking and moving builds Energy stacks. At 100 stacks, your next attack is Energized. Energized attacks heal you and grant bonus movement speed.
- Excess healing grants a temporary shield
- Takedowns restore missing health and grant an additional gold
Presence of Mind
- Restore mana after gaining a level or enemy takedown
- Earn progress towards Legend stacks for any Champion and Monster takedown and minion kill, Legend Stacks then grant bonus Attack Speed
- Earn progress towards Legend stacks for any Champion and Monster takedown and minion kill, Legend Stacks then grant bonus Tenacity
- Earn progress towards Legend stacks for any Champion and Monster takedown and minion kill, Legend Stacks then grant bonus Lifesteal
Coup de Grace
- Deal bonus damage to enemy champions below 40% health.
- Deal bonus damage to enemy champions with more health than you
- Deal increased damage to enemy champions when you are below 60% health
Keywords: Ability Power
Path Bonuses: +15 attack damage or +25 ability power
- Attacks and abilities send Aery to a target, damaging enemy champions or shielding nearby allies.
- Damaging an enemy champion with an ability calls down a comet on to their location
- Hitting an enemy champion with 3 attacks or separate abilities within 3 seconds grants bonus Movement Speed based.
- Gain a temporary shield when you take magic damage that reduce your health below 30% (anti-burst)
- Refund the manacost and restore part of your missing mana for any ability used for every 60 seconds.
The Ultimate Hat
- Reduces the cooldown of your ultimate after every use, stacks up to 5 times.
- Gain 10% cooldown reduction when you reach level 10
- Gain bonus movement speed, also grants bonus AP or AD based on your movement speed.
- Gain additional AP or AD when above 70% Health.
- For every 20 seconds your next ability hit deals bonus magic damage.
- Gain additional movement speed when moving through the river.
- Gain additional AP or AD every 10 minutes.
Keywords: Rule Bending, Cooldown Reduction, Potion durations
- Inspiration + Resolve: +20% Potion and Elixir Duration +145 Health
- Inspiration + Domination: +20% Potion and Elixir Duration +16 Attack Damage or +27 Ability Power
- Inspiration + Sorcery: +20% Potion and Elixir Duration +16 Attack Damage or +27 Ability Power
- Inspiration + Precision: +20% Potion and Elixir Duration +20% Attack Speed
- Gain Summoner shards every 6 minutes, each Summoner shard can then be use to change your Summoner spells, also reduces Summoner Spell coolddowns.
- Basic attacks against and enemy champion slows them for a few seconds, Slowing an enemy champion using active items shoot a Freeze Ray, slowing enemies by 50%
- Gain bonus gold after using an ability.
- While Flash is on cooldown, the spell is replaced by HexFlash
- Channel for 2 seconds before blinking to a new location
- Gain a Total Biscuit of Everlasting Will every 3 minutes, until 12 minutes
- Start the game with a commencing stopwatch which transforms into a full stopwatch after 6 minutes. The stopwatch can then be used one to gain a stasis effect.
- Get free Boots after 10 minutes!
- You can enter debt to buy items. The amount you can borrow increases over time.
- Start the game with 6 Minion Dematerializers that kill and absorb lane minions instantly.
- Gain cooldown reductions for your abilities, spells and items.
- Gain additional movement speed when moving towards allied and enemy champions that have their movement speed impaired.
- Gain additional permanent health.
Given that the old Rune system is revamped everyone should also expect refunds for their IPs and RPs used to purchase Runes and Rune pages. Each regular Tier 3 rune will refund 100 IP, while Tier 3 Quints will refund 300 IP, Rune pages on the other hand will be refunded with 1,500 Blue Essences while Runes and Rune Pages that are bought within the period of Dec 2016 and Sept 1, 2017 will have a full price refund.
The changes in the rune system will be implemented together with Patch 7.22 which is expected to land on Philippine servers sometime tomorrow.
Which Rune path are you most eager to try out this pre-season?
RUMBLE ROYALE’s resident Otaku, dad, loves Waifus, Gunplas and Coffee.